Hi, I’m Rebecca.
I love birds and I love writing. I’ve written and done other communications work for organizations including the Audubon Society, the American Bird Conservancy, the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, the Wilson Ornithological Society, and the American Ornithological Society. My first book, FLIGHT PATHS (due from HarperCollins in spring 2023), tells the epic scientific story of how we know what we know about bird migration.
Did you know that one of the first ways to measure bird migration was counting the silhouettes of night-migrating birds as they passed in front of the full moon? Or that British radar operators during World War II were mystified by “angels” appearing on their screens that turned out to be seabirds in flight? Or that scientists today can tell roughly where a bird spent the winter by analyzing the ratios of hydrogen, carbon, and sulfur isotopes in its feathers?
FLIGHT PATHS, my first book, will tell the incredible scientific story of how we know what we know about bird migration, tackling the methods scientists use to track this amazing natural phenomenon — from the origins of bird banding to the latest in high-throughput genetic sequencing and space-based tracking systems — chapter by chapter. Look for it from HarperCollins in spring 2023!
A few favorites from my freelance work:
- A Pandemic, a Cancer Diagnosis, and a Year List Like No Other, Audubon, December 2020
- Everyone Has a Bird Question They’re Waiting to Ask, Audubon, January 2020
- Amid the Climate Crisis, a Parent Commits an Act of Hope, High Country News, September 2019
- Seagull or Gull: Who Really Cares?, Audubon, October 2018
- Set With Care, Fire Creates Habitat For Many Declining Bird Species, Bird Conservation, February 2018
- What’s in a Name? How Genome Mapping Can Make It Harder to Tell Species Apart, Living Bird, September 2017
- Saving the Silverspot, Hakai Magazine, February 2017
- The Tree that Ate the West, bioGraphic, August 2016
I would love to hear from you! I am available for speaking engagements and as a podcast guest and am also open to communications consulting work for environmental nonprofits and scientific societies. Please use the form below.